seidousoushi (Wayrunners)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Law and Grace

Go down

Law and Grace Empty Law and Grace

Post by Admin Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm

There are number of theories regarding the Old Testament Law, and the New Covenant Law, and even theories about whether there is in fact a law under the New Covenant. It is a difficult subject to grasp, and deserves close examination.

Hebrews 8:6-13 - Session 1 - Post 2

Last edited by Admin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 am; edited 4 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://seidousoushi.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Law and Grace Empty FIRST SESSION - HEBREWS 8:6-13

Post by Admin Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Hebrews 8:6-13
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 “not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD.
10 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 “None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 “For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Questions addressed in the text:
All scripture verses used in this post cite the New King James Version of the Bible
Verse 6
But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

How does "His ministry" compare with the other ministry?
How does "His contract" compare with the other contract?
Upon what is "His contract" established?

[/indent]

Verse 7
For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

Was the first contract faultless?
What gave occasion for a second contract to be sought?

Verse 8  Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah

With what did he find fault?
Who is "He"?
Was a decision to make a new contract effected immediately?
With whom will he establish a new contract

Verse 9 “not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD.

Will the new contract be established along the same lines as that which was made with their fathers?
When was the contract with their fathers made?
Did the fathers adhere to the terms of the contract?
What resulted from their action?

Verse 10 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after* those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
"after" from the Koine Greek μετα (meta) - with/after. (in context) from that time forward.

With whom will God make the new contract?
Where will the new contract be written?
What will result from the establishment of the new contract?

Verse 11 “None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.

Who is "them"?
Future Study: People who know the Lord.

12 “For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

1/ What will God extend with regard to unrighteousness?
2/ What will God do with regard to "their" lawless deeds?

Reading back through the passage:
A/ What does these actions achieve?

13a In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete.

1/ What happens with the introduction of the new covenant?
2/ Has the New Covenant been introduced?

13b Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

1/What will happen when the thing becoming obsolete has become obsolete?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://seidousoushi.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum